Hello lovely people!
As you are training really hard to lose body fat and get back in your skinny jeans, it’s not only about the exercise. What you eat is SO important when you want sexy results.
So here’s what NOT to eat. Ever. I actually have a slight addiction to analyzing the worst ever created foods here in the USA. It’s frightening to think people eat some of these foods, and perhaps worse that I have this weird obsession! So today I discovered the Worst Fries in America. This starter contains more calories, fat and salt than I should eat in a WHOLE day:
Outback Steakhouse Aussie Cheese Fries (ah hello we don’t even have cheese fries in Australia!!)
151 g fat (72 g saturated)
2,342 mg sodium
AND believe it or not, this is the appetizer! Not very appetizing for your heart or your weight loss plans. However, if you accidentally ate this as your appetizer, the average 130lb female would have to do ONE of the following exercises to burn it off:
- Run for 3 hours and 9 minutes at 7.0mph (that’s a FAST pace!)
- Lift weights vigorously for 5 hours and 57 minutes
- Ashtanga Yoga for 7 hours (just take the day off work and do every yoga class on the schedule!)
This is ugly. Wouldn’t you rather not eat it? To help keep you on track, I have compiled a list of the Top 5 WORST foods ever:
1. Donuts. Deep-fried, full of sugar, white flour, trans fat, bad news. And for some, irresistible. It’s never OK to eat fried dough coated in sugar.
2. French Fries/Potato Chips. On their own, potatoes are bad enough for you. High in simple sugars which convert rapidly to glucose in your body and raise insulin levels. Fry them up in trans fat and you create a recipe for disaster. Don’t even be tempted – order a side salad instead of the fries and at home try baking your own sweet potatoes!
3. Soda/Soft Drink. There is no good reason to drink soda. Loaded with ‘empty’ calories, meaning there is no nutritional benefit, a single can has 40g sugar. Your recommended single day ‘added sugar’ value is 25-30g. Go figure. Don’t drink it.
4. Meats with Nitrates. Most packaged meats, like bacon, hot dogs and sausages contain sodium nitrate. Nitrate is harmless, but convert it to nitrite in your body and we have a cancer-causing agent. Check the labels and go for the nitrate-free varieties.
5. Ice Cream. It’s killing me to put this on the list, but the calories and trans fat are crazy high. A single scoop of Haagen Daaz or Ben & Jerry’s will cost you 300-600 calories depending how fancy you get! Plus the 11-20g saturated fat. Who eats a small scoop anyway?! Choose the frozen yogurt instead!
How many of these foods do you eat? Or do you know other foods that should be on the list? Let me know in the comments box!
Don’t let all your hard training effort go to waste by eating empty calories and processed junk. Plus, eating is about more than just weight loss. Avoiding these foods will reduce your risk of developing heart disease and improve your overall health.
Until next time when we discuss the BEST foods to eat, just remember, nothing tastes as good as healthy feels.